The castle was originally built by the Mamluk sultan Qansweh Al Ghuri in the 14th century. The scene of a great Arab victory in July 1916 when this heavily defended Turkish stronghold fell to a daring Arab camel charge. Lawrence of Arabia rode triumphantly from here to Cairo to report the good news to an astonished General Allenby.
map and directions
food and drinks